colinwoon

A little bit of everything through the lens.

Night Shot - First Attempt (2)

Saturday, March 08, 2008 by , under , ,

IMG_0089

IMG_0108

IMG_0104

IMG_0115

These shots were taken from the place where we stay while we were in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, end of last year.

I love night shot, I always hope I can take some awesome night shot but never have the right equipment(SLR) to do so. Now I have the equipment, the only thing missing is skills.

Well, what do I think of my first attempt? Meh. It could be better. One of the biggest mistake is that I used ISO400 for these shots which added a lots of grain(noise).

Need to practise, need to practise a lot.

What setting will you use for night shot?



|

2 Reply to "Night Shot - First Attempt"

Anonymous on March 9, 2008 at 9:36 PM

As a first attempt, you are doing just great. Keep it up buddy.

ISO 400 is an acceptable setting. You will use this setting very frequently when taking action shots. The digital noise will be very profound once up to ISO 800. In fact, I normally use ISO 400 for night shots as well.

Sometimes, a little digital noise is not a bad idea. I have been paying attention at movies lately, both Hollywood and HK movies. In low light, they use high ISO settings as well, I think could be as high as ISO 1600. The digital noise adds a flavour to it.

In my opinion, the pictures had a bit of "shaking" effect. It's probably due to long exposure, and as a result of the movement of air and the tall buildings. A sharp picture of light should have a little star but not round. I don't think it's a skill level, but the lens level. In the future, you may want to take the same shots in different ISO settings, just for comparison purpose.

That's my 2 cents man.

Sau

 

Colin Woon on March 10, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback man! Actually I didn't take enough shots to compare what different setting creates, rookie mistake.

I agree, digital noise does add some cool effects to the shots. Like I said, plenty to learn.

 

Post a Comment