colinwoon

A little bit of everything through the lens.

Yay or Nay? (17)

Monday, March 23, 2009 by , under ,


What do you think of my new blog layout? You like?

I've been thinking of changing my blog layout for a while, procrastinate, procrastinate, same old story. All I need is a little nudge to get the momentum going. And the little nudge I need came from Cheryl's Think Tank, a blogger friend, when she decided to change her blog layout a week ago. So, here it is!

CSS code is like alien language to me! Took me hours to modified this template to my liking, some tinkering is still needed. I'm just too damn picky sometime!

Anyway, here are a few tips I learned(the hard way) if you decide to change your blog layout.
- Backup all your blog post and comments: Dashboard -> Setting -> Basic -> Blog Tools - Export Blog.
- Create a new private "Test Blog" to test your layout so you don't have to test it on your working blog, believe me, this will help you eliminate a lot of hassle and headache.
- You can even import your old blog post and comments into your test blog to see how well it works.

Have fun!



|

17 Reply to "Yay or Nay?"

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover on March 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I like the background color (grey).
Thanks for your tips, will use it when I want to change my blog template next time.

 

Bakeling on March 23, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I like this background . It's much better than the black one. The back one very difficult to read 眼睛看得很吃力,好像每天都活在夜晚!

 

Bakeling on March 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM

既然你有一架好相机,一个帖子只有那一两张相片,似乎有点吝啬呢!

最少要放10张吧? 有时看得真不过过瘾!

 

Bakeling on March 23, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Please check why your old post can't leave a comment ?

 

Colin Woon on March 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Emile - Glad that you like the backround color, I was hesitant about that color as first but stick with it anyway. Plenty of nice free template out there.

Bakeling - Opppsss...I didn't know the black background make the words hard to read, I just thought it will make the photos more stand out. Glad that the new background is working great.

Aiya, I don't have that many photos to post. Most of my photos didn't turn out great so I chose not to post them.

I checked the older post, I don't see problem with comment. The layout is kinda tricky, I'm still trying to figure it out. To leave comment, either click on the number next to the post title or enter the post and leave a comment there. Work?

 

Bakeling on March 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Colin ,I was so stupid and didn't realised that actually your comments are at the top of your posts because usually the comments are at the bottom of the posts.

Tell you frankly why I seldom view your posts 'before "although your pictures are great! It is because of the black background. ( I usually don't always surf blogs with black background)I have to strain my eyes to read what your write . Things have changed from today onwards !

 

Colin Woon on March 23, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Bakeling - No, you're not stupid. Just confusing layout. I will see if I can fix the comments tab to be like before.

I'm glad the new layout will bring you here more often. I wish I can post as often as you do. I like checking your blog.

 

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover on March 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Bakeling, just realized both of us almost got the same taste, I have the same feeling about Colin's black background.

 

Cheryl on March 24, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Definately a BIG YAY!!! :D
The slight texture on your background is really beautiful. Arty. I likes.

 

温馨小屋 on March 24, 2009 at 3:13 AM

不错不错!有机会我也来换一下!

 

TINTIN on March 24, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Yay..grey are not bad, one of my favourite colour but white is always my first choice. Simple is always nice :P

 

Colin Woon on March 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Emile - Now I'm glad to stay away from the black background.

Cheryl - I'm glad that you like it! Artsy?! I like!

温馨小屋 - Have fun! Can't wait to check out your new layout.

TINTIN - Yup, simple is always nice. I thought about white background too but couldn't find a white template I like.

 

Petite Tish on March 25, 2009 at 8:26 PM

涣然一新!看来你真的下了很多功夫。CSS对我来说,还是难以明白的外星语,所以一直很懒得为我家换装。
既然你对CSS有兴趣,不如,你也帮我换一换装啦,当做练习,嘻嘻~~
我也喜欢白白的背景,感觉比较不压迫。我很喜欢的其中一个food blog用的也是白色背景,她的摄影作品同样很出色,看看:
http://tartelette.blogspot.com/

 

Colin Woon on March 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Petite Tish - I'm sure you can tackle CSS better than I do, you're in the creative field, I'm in the calculation field, ha! I'm bad at analyzing stuffs like that.

White background is cool too, nice and simple but I couldn't find one template I really like yet. Maybe next time.

http://tartelette.blogspot.com/ is cool! I like that blog design and her food photography! She's just amazing! I definitely could learn from her, photography wise. I will ask my wife to learn from her, cooking wise, ha!

 

Towards healthy and leisure life~! on March 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM

The back ground is nice...

 

melv on March 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM

it's yay bro ;-)

keep it up!

 

Colin Woon on March 30, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Towards Healthy and Leisure Life - I'm glad that you like the background!

melv - Yay for another yay! Thanks bro!

 

Post a Comment