colinwoon

A little bit of everything through the lens.

2 Guys 1 Car 1600 Miles (14)

Sunday, October 18, 2009 by , under

If you ask most people to fly to a city 1600 miles away and then driving back in a newly acquired car, you will probably get responds like "HUH?", "Are you CRAZY?", "What's WRONG with you?", etc.

To me, the same question will yield an enthusiastic "OH YEAH!!! When do we depart???". Especially when the acquired car is a Lotus Exige!!!

#1
#1 - Off we flew to Los Angeles to pick up AS's new slightly used Lotus Exige.

#2
#2 - The beauty, sitting at the seller's garage, waiting for us. AS is like a little kid at the candy store when he first saw the car. I bet I would too if I'm buying this beauty!

#3
#3 - A little protection is applied to protect the car from rocks and bugs we might encounter through the mountain and dessert area.

#4
#4 - Okay, a lot of protection. AS will probably want to cover the whole car with these special tape if we had time.

#5
#5 - Greeted by the rare Los Angeles rain as soon as we hit the highway in the evening.

#6
#6 - And the infamous LA traffic jam too.

#7
#7 - Roughly 600 miles and 10 hours later, our stop for the night at Tucson, Arizona. Arrived at 3am in the morning, departed 6 hours later with well rested eyes and full stomach.

#8
#8 - Yep, it's 80mph but we're not speeding. Some stretch of the highway actually has speed limit at 80mph, way out there in the no man land.

#9
#9 - Common encounter through out the trip, cargo train.

#10
#10 - Common theme of the journey, vast lands, straight roads, mountain range.

#11
#11 - Other than the occasional pee pit stop, it's mostly drive and sleep which is the main reason why I missed some interesting captures with my camera.

#12
#12 - Yet another cargo train.

#13
#13 - You know this car is cool when a 6 years old kid tells you, "I really really like your car.", yes, with 2 "really". Or when guys give you a thumb up as you pull into the gas station. Or when a girl tells her girlfriend, "Now that's a good looking car!"

#14
#14 - The 1.8 liter engine at the back of this car produces 190hp which is capable of propelling this 2000lb machine from 0 to 60mph in 4.7sec, and yet it still can achieve 28mpg on the highway. I have never driven a car as quick and as responsive as the Lotus Exige. It's not the most comfortable car but it's definitely the most fun to drive. I want one too!

#15
#15 - We're finally back in Texas again but still hundred of miles away from home.

#16
#16 - Sunset hours.

#17
#17 - Finally, road signs to city we're familiar with.

#18
#18 - One last photo before the light fade away when taking photos in a moving car near impossible.


A total of 30 hours on the road including pit stop, not bad, not bad. Though tiring, I really enjoyed the trip thanks to such wonderful machine.

Wifey commented that hopefully the next time we will be picking up our own Lotus. Sure honey, I sure hope so too!



|

14 Reply to "2 Guys 1 Car 1600 Miles"

Bakeling on October 19, 2009 at 12:32 AM

香车和美人,but where is the 美人 ?
Faye ,you must follow next time for the exciting trip !

Wow , I really enjoy reading the post especially on the scenery along the way !

 

Anonymous on October 19, 2009 at 12:50 AM

wow congrats to your friend! and i'm impressed...what guys would do for cars! ;) yea we had a couple days of rain, then followed by hot summer weather in oct :p hope we get cooler weather soon. :) thanks for tagging us along with this awesome road trip...felt like i was there picking up the car too! hehe :p

 

米亚 on October 19, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Thats awesome! Isnt the exige version amazing? We have this elise version and used to drive it around the town too! I couldnt manage it but Alex is good in it. I would too wanna join u for this 1600 miles if possible. Alex and I both enjoy driving very much...

 

米亚 on October 19, 2009 at 5:03 AM

no 16 photo is really cool! US has a good track to test the engine of the car... thanks for sharing!

 

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover on October 19, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Sorry I'm late today.
I'm really enjoyed this 30hours of photos, awesome shots and I especially love the photo #16, so cool...
I'm sure next time you and Faye could pick up your own dream car too. Thanks for sharing photos.

 

summer on October 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM

这辆车子真的很酷呢~:)而且从那么远的地方开车回来,还真的很疯狂~但是这种经历肯定很爽~ :)第十六张照片拍得很有感觉呢,搭配夕阳在高速公路上狂奔,真的很酷~

 

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover on October 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Come to see these photos again...
I can say this is the best post of the year, keep up the good work Colin..

 

Bakeling on October 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM

me too , see the second time !

I love photo #15's the shadow on the mountain and #16 too. !

 

choi yen on October 20, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Always can see great photos from ur post!!!

 

温馨小屋 on October 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM

oh yeah~~!! the car is so cool **
huhu~~ i like the photo #16 as well....hehe !!

 

Nancymommy on October 22, 2009 at 7:01 AM

二十多年前,我和我老公和几个朋友也是从TEXAS开车去LASVEGAS玩,租了辆车就出发了..五个人只有三个人可以轮流开车...那时的"穷留学生生活"还真棒呢!
不过...和你这部一流的跑车比起,真是"天壤之别"啊...

 

melvinfoo on October 26, 2009 at 4:30 AM

that's a cool car indeed!!!!!!

 

Colin Woon on October 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Bakeling - Glad that you like it. Hopefully it will be my turn next time and bring Faye along for the experience. The Lotus only have room for 2 people...

woolloomooloosky - Hi! Thanks for coming by! I really envy you for living in LA, so cool and so much fun! Hope I can check out LA again soon.

米亚 - The Elise is cool too! Make me envious that you guys own one! Come by US sometime, we will bring you on a road trip and explore!

Sonia - Glad that you like the photos and come back to check it out again. #16 is one of my fav too. Yup, hopefully next time it's our turn, ha!

Summer - Definitely a very cool experience! I try to enjoy life a little bit at a time.

 

Colin Woon on October 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM

mimid3vils - Thank you! I enjoy your photography too!

温馨小屋 - Thank you! Seems like #16 is most liked photo!

Nancymommy - Yeah, those memories of road trip back in the school day is still very clear in my mind. I just missed it! To me, a road trip is fun no matter what car I'm in, as long as the car doesn't break down, ha!

melvinfoo - Very cool indeed. :)

 

Post a Comment