colinwoon

A little bit of everything through the lens.

Photo Day at Houston Zoo (17)

Saturday, April 18, 2009 by , under ,

We've been living in Houston for more than 10 years and we have never been to the Houston Zoo, what a shame! Not that the Houston Zoo is not cool but we always thought it's a place for kids and families.

Well, thanks to my boss and his wife, who were kind enough to invite us there(and paid the fees) for the 2nd Annual Photo Day at the Houston Zoo - it's a day cater to photography enthusiast and professional. The zoo opened to participants 2 hours prior to the normal zoo operation hours. Which was pretty cool, since we will see much less people when we roam around the zoo shooting photos.

And again thanks to my boss, who also loan a camera to Faye so she can try some photography fun! And fun, she had! Now that I know she like it, buying a 2nd camera body is not such a bad idea after all...hehehe...*wink*

Curious Meerkat
Curious Meerkat, all they do are just standing around stare curiously at human while human stare at them.

Scary Striped Cat
Pretty obvious what this is, if not, consult a brain surgeon.

Striped Cat
One of the zoo keeper told me this is a she and she's on loan from the San Diego Zoo as a stand in while the original tiger is in a Florida zoo to complete her mission - to mate.

Dip
Enjoying one of their favorite past time, dipping into the water. They sure are beautiful animal, well, beautiful as long as they're on the other side of the fence.

March
Some kind of duck, matching...

Hot Chick with Camera
That's Faye firing her camera away! Isn't she cool?



The following photos are from my wife's camera. She definitely has the skills to be a really good photographer, I just have to convince her to pick up the camera more often!

What are you looking at?
Same guys as the one on the 1st photo, just different perspective - still nosy curious though.

Long Neck
I couldn't get a good photo of the giraffe, I'm glad Faye did!

Lazy Bear
A lazy bear.

Flap Deployed
Good timing there! Oh, by the way, this is a Pelican, I think.


Houston Zoo has much more cool animals then what I post here but a lot of the photos didn't turn out right so we have to try again next time.



|

17 Reply to "Photo Day at Houston Zoo"

Bakeling on April 18, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Although I am animal phobia , I still found that the photos and the animals look cool !

Faye is has the potential to be a good photographer because she has a 师傅 with her !

 

heartsinthesky on April 18, 2009 at 5:01 AM

wow!!! these photos look like they can be in national geopraphic magazine!! you and your wife would make a good team at photography :)

 

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover on April 18, 2009 at 5:37 AM

These photos are so coooool...
I especially like the duck photo, they are so cute..

 

funmama on April 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM

You guys took a good shot on that tiger!

 

Colin Woon on April 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Bakeling - Me, 师傅?! I seriously doubt Faye will agree with you on that!

Simee - National Geographic?! Wow! I sure hope that happen someday. Thanks!

Sonia - The duck photo is one of my favorite too, didn't even know I had such a funny moment until I got home.

HF - Thanks! We have more than 50 photos of the tiger and only 3 turn out good, ha! We tried.

 

Nancymommy on April 18, 2009 at 7:58 PM

我以为我进了什么动物杂志网页...拍得太美了...
让我替你们捏把冷汗,你们好像站在老虎前面拍照喔!逼真的不得了...
Houston我去过一次,不过是去参观NASA,没去到动物园...

 

米亚 on April 18, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I find the water reflection of the tiger really sophisticated in your photos! How can you do that? I snap & snap & snap but never achieve what I want, sigh... yours are truly amazing! *salute*

 

Unknown on April 19, 2009 at 4:02 AM

btw... i can't believe you haven't been to the zoo in 10 years!!! >_< i make an effort to go every year... just for fun! hehe.

 

Colin Woon on April 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Nancy - Thank you for your compliments! I think the only visitor attraction in Houston is NASA, ha! The zoo is more for local people.

米亚 - Thank you! The tiger and reflection shot are just luck! I was really really lucky to have captured that. All my photos had been processed using Adobe Lightroom for it to stand out, you can try that or Google Picasa, which is free.

Sim Ee - The zoo, once a year?! Maybe I should.

 

Faye fly on April 20, 2009 at 1:20 AM

tat ducks soo cute lah!!

 

卡珞 on April 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Amazing photo shotting skill! I like the first photo a lot... the 'guys' look real, like standing in front of me. :) Your wife also snapped a lot of good photos.. I am still learning how to use DSLR of my hubby. :P

 

Petite Tish on April 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM

我在北京动物园照的相都搬不上台面,不知道是该怪我的相机机身还是我的烂技术,哈哈哈哈!
我的细胞蠢蠢欲动,很想买个D300机身...
看你老婆做的蛋糕,就可以看出她是有潜能的啦!嘻嘻。婷,加油!

 

Colin Woon on April 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Faye fly - They were cute, too bad, that's the only good shot I have of them.

卡珞 - Thank you for checking out my blog! I use a 300mm lens so I can reach further.

HK - C'mon lah, you're a good photographer! I like your 北京 photos! Don't buy a D300 yet, spend the money on lenses and accessories instead, you won't regret it!

Ya, I think Faye got 潜能 too! Lets hope she will stay interested, hahaha...

 

温馨小屋 on April 22, 2009 at 5:47 AM

前几天一直等不到这些动物的照片show出来。今天一开,我两个儿子,一直哇!哇的看着那老虎的照片。我大儿子说“geng 啊!”

 

Colin Woon on April 22, 2009 at 7:48 AM

“geng 啊!” - Hahaha...I really appreciate that!

 

若水 on April 25, 2009 at 6:58 PM

shooting animals is great fun, especially when you captured their facial expressions. great work!

 

Colin Woon on April 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM

jdexign - Thank you! I enjoy your photography works too!

 

Post a Comment